The History of Lancaster Avionics


The core of Lancaster Avionics Inc. has been around for many years. It all started around 1969 under the name of Lancaster Aviation. With the financial backing of Charles Chips, Charles Heim and Larry Miller spent the first year gearing up the avionics shop for service making harnesses, acquiring technical publications, and acquiring test equipment. During this first year, no aircraft were serviced. Leon Bright was the Director of Maintenance.


Lancaster Aviation grew to become a full service FBO including Flight Training, Fuel Sales, Aircraft Sales, Maintenance, and Avionics. The business flourished from the 70's through the late 80's. Charles (Chuck) Smith was hired as the General Manager in the early 80's. The most significant expansion took place under his administration including the completion of the building now know as Lancaster Avionics Inc. The avionics shop developed a reputation for excellence during these years that was matched by few.


Financial challenges loomed during an economic downswing which coincided with Desert Storm. A merger took place between Romar Aviation and Lancaster Aviation. The FBO was renamed Lancaster Flight Center. The financial challenges continued for the next couple of years. The challenges were so difficult that the reputation of the avionics shop could not endure. This scenario laid the ground work for Lancaster Avionics Inc.


 T: +717-569-1953

In late 1995, two local businessmen decided to purchase the avionics shop and named it Lancaster Avionics Inc. These men were Henry Weber (President), former founder and owner of Henry Weber Aircraft Distributors, and the late Marlin Walmer (Vice-President), former founder and owner of Electron Energy Corp. Both men put their friendship and their love of flying to work to make sure an avionics shop remained at Lancaster Airport. Larry Miller stayed on as Manager of the shop for a couple years before retiring.  | Next Page >>


500-U Airport Road, Lititz, PA  17543 ยท 717-569-1953